…and back!

16112486_10154824094204693_4095718976382228209_o

It was amazing. I overwork that word a lot, but it truly was. I’m grateful for all the encouragement I got – even Roz managed to keep her “oh, geez, why is she doing this?” under control, and the offers to post bail. I still have my friend’s phone number Sharpied on my arm, in case we got separated or arrested because a bunch of women wearing pink hats poses a huge threat to national security, right? Instead, well, you’ve seen the reports. Around 4 million people peacefully gather for the largest protest in American history. I had friends at the marches in L.A., Atlanta, Austin, Toronto and with me in Boston.

And this morning, Trump has signed orders cancelling any international funding on abortion, which is actually a dagger to women’s healthcare and we all know it. Harper did in 2010. Wait for Roe v Wade to be reopened; this menace has to be stopped, and watch the crowds get bigger to make sure it happens.

Oh, and if you consistently can’t get a comment on my blog approved? It’s because you’re a troll and I know who you are and though I could report you to my newspaper editors at the time when you came at me there (and I did), I don’t have to allow you on my blog. Move along.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

24 responses to …and back!

Good for you Lorraine! Welcome home.
    I think a national “no sex strike” in the USA would cure the abortion and Planned Parenthood issues. Women have the power, they need to use it.

• Zena says:

You make it sound as if sex is only something male partners want…

The problem compounds when one party decides their counterpart doesn’t have the right to say “NO.”

On your first point Zena, sometimes you have to”sacrifice for the cause.”
        On your second point, I think we’d both agree if your partner doesn’t respect “no,” you’ve got bigger problems to deal with.
        Conitnue to love the fact that you are a passionate woman.

You know I’m half kidding Zena. What would be an effective way to make the congress, senate, and the cabinet think twice about messing with women’s right to decide what happens with their own bodies and health?

• Zena says:

Yeh, I know you are, Pat. I just think we’re all feeling just that little bit tetchy right now…

Quite honestly, I don’t think there’s anything that can be done to make them sit up and take notice—they’re all too ensconced in their dogma. The Puritan roots of American society run very deep—so much so that they can’t even see their own hypocrisy even though they’re basting in it.

Mind, we here north of the 49th have nothing much to be smug about.

Forget about curing cancer—maybe we should be focusing on finding a cure for narcissism and psycho/sociopathy.

• RT says:

When they said the left was going to filibuster acts of congress I didn’t realise the dreadful implications. [see what I did there?]

Unfortunately, I think stopping everybody having sex is exactly what the religious right and the new VP want. They’re just 17th century puritans, obsessed with sex, obsessed with stopping sex, stopping it everywhere, stopping whoever’s doing it, for whatever reason, with the sole exception of procreation (but try not to enjoy it). Banning abortion is only the first step. They’re already redefining contraception as abortion, and of course destroy Planned Parenthood, which is 99% about every other type of sexual health, and 1% about abortion.

Worse still, these people actually want women to suffer if they fall short of their standards … as they naturally will. They want women to live in poverty and misery as a result of having unprotected sex, because they had no sex education, because they couldn’t access free contraception. They even want pregnant rape victims to ‘look at it as a blessing’ as their rapist’s child grows inside them. And it goes (to a much lesser extent) for men too. They want us to get the clap, HIV, hepatitis … if you have sex and don’t suffer, they think we’re doing it wrong.

Screw that. They made sex political. We owe it to democracy to do it all the ways they hate most. Call it freedom fucking.

2. Padraig says:

I didn’t realise that you were going to Boston – I thought you were in Washington, and I looked for you in the picture on my tv. Also on the front page of the Sunday Star. I guess that must be what President Trump’s communications advisor calls an “alternative fact”

3. Padraig says:

And, yes, I do now realise that the heading of your first blog reads “Boston Bound”. Belatedly.

Lorraine, check this out….my cousin and her story about Saturdays’ march.

5. Dawn says:

This loyal reader in Tacoma WA marched in Seattle, where the expected crowd of 40k turned out to be 175,000 (and yes, it was amazing). The bonus was knowing that the “yuuuuge” participation at marches around the country would get right under the paper-thin skin of the petulant prevaricating man-baby.

6. Zena says:

Completely (well, somewhat) off-topic, but does anyone else see the irony in Mary Tyler Moore’s dying just days after the White House Man Club’s signing of that executive order ending funding to NGO’s which aid women in impoverished nations to achieve reproductive freedom?

There’s something symbolic going on there.

“Mary, you’ve got spunk. I hate spunk!”
      A friend mine just told me that his uncle died shortly after Trump was elected. Symbolic indeed.
      But, there is hope. I was watching a you tube video on “Konzi” the talking Bonobo. The next video in line in the que was Mike Pence speaking at the “right to life” rally in Washington. Now there’s symbolism for you.