Scuba phones and huskies

I’m tired. I’m beyond tired, actually, but I’m not really complaining. Detroit show was terrific. It’s nice to kick off the season seeing all kinds of people you often don’t get to see, and all in one place. You drink too much coffee and your feet get sore and you drop your cell phone in a toilet (okay, some of us do that), but it is great. I went tearing past the Porsche booth (where I’d had breakfast; lunch booth was going to be Jaguar, though I still don’t know what those little meaty things were) when my colleague from the Star, Jil McIntosh hollered at me.
“CBC wants someone, I can’t do it. You wanna do it?”
“Do they pay?”
“Yup.”
“Yes.”

I missed the details until my phone (pre-toilet) rang. CBC radio does a series of hits that roll out across the country on their morning shows. They told me I’d be doing a series of essentially the same interview, from the car show in Detroit with thoughts/trends etc. Sounds good. Oh, did I mention they start at 6am and go until 9am? Turns out several of my esteemed colleagues had turned it down, but they’re a bunch of party animals, and I am not. I’d asked Jil what kind of content they were looking for, and she replied, “you can be blonde”. I love Jil. In anticipation of getting up at 5:50 so I could brush my teeth so I’d sound smarter, I obviously couldn’t sleep. I don’t trust alarms in hotels, even my own, and so I napped and cursed the darkness. Starting at 6:10 or so, the phone rang every 10-15 minutes with stations from Cornerbrook, Newfoundland to Whitehorse to Kamloops. Every time it rang, I jumped, even though I had the schedule in front of me. Here’s a link to the Windsor piece, if you’re curious.

Finally got out of Detroit and headed for home yesterday, got here in time to change and head into Toronto to do my Lemon Aid show. I shoved a pair of contacts in my eyes, which by this point felt like someone had poured sand in them. The only available moisture was nestling around my cell phone battery (it’s fine, I saved it in time). I knew I could sleep in this morning, if I could just get through till 11pm when I get home from Toronto. En route, I got a note from CBC Toronto Metro Morning. Would I be interested in doing one more piece for them this morning? At 6:20? Of course I would. Top rated show in its time slot? Hello, Matt Galloway…

I get to sleep tonight. I head out tomorrow in a spanky new Pathfinder to Pinestone Resort in Haliburton to do a day of dogsledding. Where those big dogs pull a sled. Can’t wait to meet the puppies at Winterdance. Story for the Spec, I’ll post when it’s up.

Somebody remind me I’m not 25. Oh wait, my body’s already doing that.

37 responses to Scuba phones and huskies

Sounds like tons of fun.
    As the saying goes “make hay when the sun shines” before you know it you’ll be back sitting in the kitchen draped in cats and looking forward to the next adventure, no matter how much it takes out of you.

Enjoy!

(I’ve heard of many people dropping their phones in the toilet but I can’t figure out how it actually happens. I must be using mine wrong)

I’ve done it ::ahem:: several times. This time, I was totally stupid. I was wearing these camo pants that were getting baggier and baggier as the day progressed. I’d been taking pictures with the phone, and instead of jamming it into my backpack, I stuffed it in my back pocket. That was now all baggy.

Cue running in for a pee, backpack hung on door, belt undone. flip, the weight of the phone hauled the now-baggy pants over and in it went. Terror in my heart as I plunged in after it; Cobo Hall has those automatically flushing toilets, and if I’d moved away it would have been Nemo’s cell phone now.

• Zena says:

I can just hear his dad yelling “You think you can text on that thing Nemo, but you just can’t!”

And Dori saying “Cell phone? You need a cell phone? I saw a cell phone! Follow me…”

• Sandy says:

Too funny!
        Poor you having to fish it out of the toilet……

My sister ran into a mall washroom to change into her suit for a job interview once. She threw her suit jacket on the counter and the sensor turned on the tap.
        Suit jacket was soaked, interview was in 10 minutes. She ran around the mall and bought a whole new outfit, wore it out of the store and went to the interview.
        Somehow she even managed to get the job.

• Kerry says:

Most 20 year old women keep their phones in their bras . And said phones still wind up in the toilet occasionally .

• Zena says:

I’m not even going to ask how you know that…

(Can’t say that any of the 20 (give or take a few)-year-old women I know put their phones there.)

• Chris Brown (not the felon) says:

So I have two 20 year old girls and a 23 year old and none of them put their phone… there. I asked if their friends do and they said they’re afraid of taking a “selfie.”

I think Kerry may have made this one up. Did she go to soccer games, Kerry?

I read an article that said that public toilets are cleaner than the ice machines in restaurants. So your phone should be OK, but you might want to skip the drink at the bar.
        By the way, you are not 25 anymore. Get some sleep.

2. B1 says:

Well, if you were tired, you certainly didn’t sound like it in that CBE interview. Interesting commentary, although I personally would pay a premium NOT to have all the mod-cons. But that’s me. The DIAS is a hoot, isn’t it? Used to sometimes attend to write colour stories.

The first year I ever went, it was insane. So over the top. Then the auto industry died, and I attended two years of funerals, basically. We used to joke that GM didn’t even put the lights on at their booth. It was awful.

But slowly but surely, it’s tilting upright again. I’d love to see it stay about here; the over the top stuff was a little too nutty for me. Yes, I just said that….

I bungled a couple things in a couple of the interviews, but for the most part, it’s a lot of fun. I don’t feel constrained by much, every manufacturer has things I love and things I love less. It’s like the TV show – I just say what I want. No car can be all things to all people – and neither can I:)

• Kerry says:

You sounded very coherent for 6 am and winging it without a script .

I’m worse with a script. The only parts of my show I bungle are the ones on the TelePrompTer. Mostly because I just start laughing if I screw up, and pull a face.

Because everything works fine if you pull a face.

3. David Taylor says:

Great seeing you briefly this week – I think it was Monday? Stay in touch.

4. Am I the only one who doesn’t understand the “Scuba phones” part of this? I may be jet lagged, and I get the Huskies thing (and I like their gas stations) but what’s a scuba phone and how do I use it? Would I call my mother while scuba diving? In case of shark attack I could dial 911, I suppose.

Oh well.

• Lorraine Sommerfeld says:

Chez Sommerfeld, any phone that hits the water is called a scuba phone…..it took a dive;)

• Chris Brown (not the felon) says:

Oh geeze. Of course. Now I’m pretty sure I WAS the the only one who didn’t get it.

Some days I should just keep my mouth shut.

CBNTF I do think you were the only one who did not get it. Jet lag will do that to you so we all expect some witty comments to make up for it. I have never dropped a cell phone in the toilet but I have managed to loose three cordless phones in my life. I think one was left on the car, maybe the bumper, when I went to do some yard work and was expecting a call. The other two I have no idea where they went. Maybe the cats wanted to make crank calls and purr at people then hang up. Lorraine, awesome on the radio!

On a totally different note, the wonderful husband and I are quite excited, going to look at a 1987 Toyota Dolphin this weekend at a bargain price. They are a nifty little motor home, very solid, complete with full kitchen and bathroom. It has been a retirement dream for down the road, but hey, we figure the kids can each take a year off school so we can purchase it.

6. Bill says:

Have you received any sh*tty phone calls recently?
    Or do phone calls p*ss you off or pee ve you?

7. DJW says:

Sure, I go away for 2 days and this happens…